ARMBrix zero vs. Arndale Board: which one to buy for Ubuntu?

Discussion of OPENBRIX Zero project. (ARMBRIX changed name to OPENBRIX.)

ARMBrix zero vs. Arndale Board: which one to buy for Ubuntu?

Postby Patola » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 am

Hi,

I am currently assembling a lab with several ARM mini-PCs and sticks and testing all of them with Ubuntu. I plan to start a vlog and blog on these issues shortly.

I already have (with Ubuntu) one ODROID-X2, two CuBoxes, one UG802, one Minix Neo X5, Nexus 7 and two more are coming.

Having said that, I've seen two excellent offerings on your site, of ARMBRIX Zero and Arndale board. I want to decide between them which one to buy for analysis and review. So, I'd like to post a few questions:

1- Are both boards compatible with Ubuntu / Linaro? Including all hardware devices?
2. Are both devices hardware-compatible so we would use the same imagine in both?
3. Are you going to make the images available, with stuff like hardware acceleration?
4. Which one is best for analysis? I guess it would be the arndale board since it has JTAG and serial, however as I see it the ARMBRIX would be more consumer-oriented, so if they are incompatible, I guess ARMBRIX would be the best choice.
5. What is the level of openness you are going to provide about the board(s)? Diagrams, copyright, general information?

I am sorry if this question is posted in the wrong board, please educate me where it would be best to ask. I've tried the FAQs of howchip.com and armbrix.com but they do not answer my questions.

Re: ARMBrix zero vs. Arndale Board: which one to buy for Ubu

Postby Patola » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 am

You know, this lack of response certainly contributes for me to wonder if there is any benefit in buying this product. I certainly wouldn't recomend unsupported hardware for people out there, even if it is a development board...

Postby stef70 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:55 pm

I have the same feelings.

To make things worse, the armbrix.com website does not even provide any kind of useful information about the board (except for the link to howchip.com where the basic specifications can be found).

There are not even enough information to believe it could be a scam.

Postby kapicho » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I have the same feelings too.

I think that it is unfortunate because that can be a good project

Postby zester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 am

stef70 wrote:I have the same feelings.

To make things worse, the armbrix.com website does not even provide any kind of useful information about the board (except for the link to howchip.com where the basic specifications can be found).

There are not even enough information to believe it could be a scam.

I got my order shipment date .

Dear Customer.

Your order is shipped 4-5 weeks after payment.

Best Regards
Customer Service Center.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Universal embedded solution technology.
UNIBEST INC.

E-mail: howchip@howchip.com
URL : http://www.howchip.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Last edited by zester on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby stef70 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:38 am

zester wrote:If it is a scam samsung and insignal is going to be mighty upset when there reported and there domains are block from the web, and 4 million+ Android and Linux dev's catch wind that samsung is involved in fraud via zdnet, linuxtoday, lxer, slashdot, .... We will find out because I paid Howchip.com $189.60 for a Armbrix Zero and thats what I expect to get.

Hopefully not. I just found http://www.cnx-software.com/tag/openbrix/ where a customer describes his new ARMBRIX/OPENBRIX. By that way that single page provides more information than the forum and the official website.

Postby younglee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

stef70 wrote:
zester wrote:If it is a scam samsung and insignal is going to be mighty upset when there reported and there domains are block from the web, and 4 million+ Android and Linux dev's catch wind that samsung is involved in fraud via zdnet, linuxtoday, lxer, slashdot, .... We will find out because I paid Howchip.com $189.60 for a Armbrix Zero and thats what I expect to get.

Hopefully not. I just found http://www.cnx-software.com/tag/openbrix/ where a customer describes his new ARMBRIX/OPENBRIX. By that way that single page provides more information than the forum and the official website.

All,

Although I could feel the same as your opinions, I don't have enough resource to maintain my webpage and develop my board. I believe that is why you guys felt not so comfortable.
CNX-Software is one of my good reviews who can help me to update my information. Anytime you can ask me what you want for my board. Please feel free to contact me - hyounglee@iambrix.com.
Recently I found out my company's name might disturb ARM's own brand credit. Thus I just changed my company's name and board name as iAMBRIX and Openbrix Zero.

Thanks,

Postby younglee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

stef70 wrote:

All,

Although I could feel the same as your opinions, I don't have enough resource to maintain my webpage and develop my board. I believe that is why you guys felt not so comfortable.
CNX-Software is one of my good reviews who can help me to update my information. Anytime you can ask me what you want for my board. Please feel free to contact me - hyounglee@iambrix.com.
Recently I found out my company's name might disturb ARM's own brand credit. Thus I just changed my company's name and board name as iAMBRIX and Openbrix Zero.

Thanks,

Postby zester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm

younglee wrote:
stef70 wrote:

All,

Thanks,

Ok that's good to hear.

Sorry for going off like that, it's just that alot of us Android and Linux developers have been scammed so
many times by chines company's that our first reaction is to get defensive and lash-out.

Normally the first sign that something is wrong is the lack of communication and updates. All you have to
do is let us know that your having problems with ARM or your website or even that you have a lot of work to do.
We will understand.

Samsung, Insignal and Howchip are all South Korean Company's so that makes me feel alot better.

The problems you are experiencing with ARM is unfortunate, that's just how ARM operates.

If you need any help, or support just let the community know. Ill remove my comment above.

Thanks Steven AKA Zester ;)

Postby Patola » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks for the response. Now, which one should I buy, given what I said? Will the images of the boards be compatible?

Next

Return to OPENBRIX Project