ARMBrix Sata power

Discussion of OPENBRIX Zero project. (ARMBRIX changed name to OPENBRIX.)

ARMBrix Sata power

Postby popol256 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 am

Hi,

I don't see on the picture you've posted where to plug the SATA's POWER connector ?
What is the power rating specification from the power supply ?

Re: ARMBrix Sata power

Postby BillFleming » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

The current ARMBRIX Zero is sold without any cables or power supply according to Howchip.
You will need to supply your own power supply for both the ARMBRIX board and a SATA hard drive.
In practice most 2.5" hard drives only need the 5V rail to function.

One of the miniITX ATX psus might be good to use for prototyping with these ARM boards, hard drives, and other accessories.
http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.13/.f
One of the power supplies kits would have everything that you need.

Bill

Postby abufrejoval » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 am

I use Sharkoon open SATA docking stations on Arndale's ESATA connector which have their own power supply.
They come in many variants, some with dual SATA/USB 2.0 connectivity and others include a USB 3.0 hub.

I find them very handy, especially becase I can also plug them into my PC based build systems for backups/file transfer etc.

I just noticed that OpenBrix Zero has an (internal) SATA connector, so I'm glad I already have an ESATA to SATA connector cable.

Once you're ready to turn it into an appliance I guess you'll want something that doesn't cover an entire desk with power supplies and cables, but given the power ratio of this board to that of all the potential peripherals it doesn't make sense to run peripheral power through the board.

Postby zester » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Couldn't you use something like this ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 1JM0GE0640

Maybe add one of these for an mSata card/drive....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... =u00000687

Postby BillFleming » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 pm

That cable would only work if the ARMBRIX had a powered eSATA port. It appears to have just a regular SATA port. So that cable won't plug in, and if it did, it wouldn't get power.

Postby zester » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 pm

BillFleming wrote:That cable would only work if the ARMBRIX had a powered eSATA port. It appears to have just a regular SATA port. So that cable won't plug in, and if it did, it wouldn't get power.

So for the ARMBrix Zero we re going to need two power supply's if you want to use the sata port?

Postby BillFleming » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 am

Most 2.5" SATA drives only use 5V power. So if you bought a 5V 5A power supply and a SATA power extension cable, you can splice them together and use just one power supply.
If the drive uses 3.3V as well, you can find a combo dual output power supply, or get a 5v->3.3V converter. If your drive used 3.3V, you would only need a low current step-down supply most likely.

Or you could just get a small ATX PSU like I suggested above. Could run a SATA drive, the board off the 5V, a fan off of the 12V, and maybe an LCD off of the 12V as well.

Return to OPENBRIX Project