SDHC UHS-I Support?

Discussion of OPENBRIX Zero project. (ARMBRIX changed name to OPENBRIX.)

SDHC UHS-I Support?

Postby herpderp » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if the Armbrix development board will support MicroSD cards rated UHS-I.
I know they probably will be recognised,but will Android be able to take advantage of the enhanced speed or just max out at class 10 speed?(eg: 20 Mb/s instead of 90 Mb/s).
i am planning on purchasing this card to boost read/write speeds a little since there is no eMMC chip on-board.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory- ... pacity=8GB

Thanks in advance

Re: SDHC UHS-I Support?

Postby BillFleming » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 pm

In theory if they wired up the 4bit SD mode correctly, then all it takes is to just turn the clock speed up till you get to the speed that you need. (208MHz)
If there were signal issues you may not be able to attain faster speeds, but the SD is less than 2 inches away from the Exynos and it is on the same board so you can probably run the full spec unless they goofed somewhere on the signal routing.
We still need to see the full schematic though to confirm the 4bit SD mode...

Most likely though they haven't done any testing at speeds above 50MHz on the SD card. So somebody will need to find out.

Bill

Edit: Just so you guys know the Arndale board has the full 4 bit SD mode connected.

Re: SDHC UHS-I Support?

Postby younglee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am

BillFleming wrote:In theory if they wired up the 4bit SD mode correctly, then all it takes is to just turn the clock speed up till you get to the speed that you need. (208MHz)
If there were signal issues you may not be able to attain faster speeds, but the SD is less than 2 inches away from the Exynos and it is on the same board so you can probably run the full spec unless they goofed somewhere on the signal routing.
We still need to see the full schematic though to confirm the 4bit SD mode...

Most likely though they haven't done any testing at speeds above 50MHz on the SD card. So somebody will need to find out.

Bill

Edit: Just so you guys know the Arndale board has the full 4 bit SD mode connected.

In the Exynos 5 Dual's manual, it can support UHS-1. However I tested micro SD card supporting UHS-1 from Sandisk, it was not working with current BSP version without any modification.
It may require timing changing for UHS-1. I will put this on my check list.

Thanks,

Return to OPENBRIX Project